PE and Sport Premium
The PE and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity;
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school;
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport;
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils;
- increased participation in competitive sport.
Schools can use their funding to:
- provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively;
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities;
- support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, running or extending school sports clubs and holiday clubs;
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games ;
- encourage pupils to take on leadership roles that support sport and physical activity within the school;
- run sports activities with other schools; embed phsyical activity into the school day through active travel to school; active palygrounds and active teaching.
How We Spend Our PE and Sport Premium
We use the majority of this grant to enable our teaching and support staff to increase their confidence and skill in teaching PE by supporting lessons led by specialist sports coaches. We work closely with Onside Coaching as our specialist provider who teach four classes for one hour a week. We also benefit from a teaching assistant who is a fully qualified gymnastics coach and sports premium enables us to release her from class to team teach with class teachers to enhance their confidence, skill and knowledge. This is also true of a member of the SLT who is a qualified FA Coach who then shares her expertise throughout the school. Teachers and Teaching Assistants work closely with these specialists with, for example, planning and assessment.
At Long Itchington C of E Academy, we are committed to providing a range of experiences for our children to encourage them to take part in physical activity. These opportunities include:
- being a wellbeing ambassador (previously sports ambassadors)
- marathon kids
- dance club
- netball club
- football club
- tennis club
- participation in competitions against local schools eg netball, football, swimming, athletics